The Basilica di Sant'Andrea Apostolo

The Basilica di Sant’Andrea Apostolo was built in the 18th century and overlooks the square with the same name. The square is a mandatory stop for tourists wishing to visit the Subiaco Monasteries. The Basilica was built over an older church dedicated to Saint Abondio and decorated with frescoes by Manente and Caracci, which unfortunately have not been preserved. It was consecrated by Pius VI on 22 May 1789.

The façade is structured on two tiers and features a triangular tympanum. The lower tier is characterised by six columns and three portals, while the upper tier is decorated with four columns and a central balustrade and loggia. The coat of arms of Pope Pius VI stands out in the middle of the tympanum.

The interior is decorated in neoclassical style, with a Latin cross layout and three naves. The side chapels host a number of artworks dating back to the 18th century and a painting depicting the Saviour made by one of Raphael's pupils. The central nave ends in a large apse with a choir and an organ featuring approximately 5,000 pipes, divided in two groups at each side of the presbytery.

The Basilica was nearly destroyed during World War II and then rebuilt according to the original plans in the 1950s.

Address: Piazza Sant'Andrea
00028 - Subiaco (Rm) - Italy

Mappa

Churchs

Church of San Lorenzo

Church of San Lorenzo

The Church of San Lorenzo Martire is located in Pianello, the first inhabited area of Subiaco. The church was allegedly built in the mid-fourth century, by order of a Roman patrician named Narzio, who owned several plots of land in the area. Basically, Subiaco was born with…

Madonna della Croce church

Madonna della Croce church

The Madonna della Croce church, built in 1095, is located in the historical city centre of Subiaco. In 1500 the church was expanded and its interiors were decorated with beautiful frescoes. The 15 wall frescoes dating back to the 16th century, including the Deposition of Christ, Jesus Saviour and the…

Church of Santa Maria della Valle

Church of Santa Maria della Valle

  In 1773 Pope Pius VI, ordered the construction of a new church in Subiaco, which will be completed only in 1851 because of the French invasion and the lack of funds. The present facade was completed only in 1870. At the top there are four columns in Tuscan style, down the front instead assumes…

Convent of Saint Francis

Convent of Saint Francis

The Convent of Saint Francis, next to the Church of Saint Francis, is located on a hill along the right bank of the Aniene river coming from Tivoli. It can be reached by walking across the stunning  humpback bridge. The 18th century cloister, restored in 1893, preserves the original square shape…

Monastery of Saint Benedict

Monastery of Saint Benedict

The Monastery of Saint Benedict, also known as Sacro Speco or "Holy Cave", was built on the spot where the saint withdrew to pray when he was still an adolescent, and where he established the Rule of the order “Ora et labora” (“Pray and work”). Over the years, many…

 The Monastery of Saint Scholastica

The Monastery of Saint Scholastica

Founded in 520 AD, the Monastery of Saint Scholastica was initially dedicated to Saint Silvester. At the end of the 9th century, after the invasion of the Saracens, it was dedicated to Saint Benedict and Saint Scholastica, but when the Sacro Speco was founded in the 12th century, to avoid confusion…